Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pearly Trinkets and Floaty Woes: The Rosemont Flea Market with Leilani (Thriftaholic)

Last Sunday Leilani and I got up early to head out for a morning at the Rosemont flea market. But first, as I continue along my journey to finding a signature style, I knew to expect some stumbling. Well, here's my first big pothole...

I came across this gorgeous, wispy white top on sale at Anthropologie while visiting a friend in DC. Said-friend was majorly laid up in bed with the flu, so I decided to escape the quarantine of her apartment and get some fresh air. (And by fresh, I mean July-in-DC-good-lord-it's-muggy-and-gross-out-I'd-rather-be-in-quarantine. But I digress.)

I've been pining for some fresh, summer whites to wear on those hot, dog days of summer, and this top seemed to fit the bill. It was white, light, airy and didn't make me look totally pregnant, nor was it tight like a second skin. It had a pretty "plaid" pattern that gave it texture, was asymmetrical, and floaty. It even had pockets. So, check, check and check.


Here's where I become frustrated. The photo above is pretty much the only one out of dozens that I felt was flattering. The few below I'm not very fond of, but are passable.



Top: Anthropologie
Cami: J. Crew
Leggings: Target
Sunnies: Target
Wedges: Van Eli, a few years old
Necklace: Flea market in Rosemont, IL

In hindsight, it could have just been an off day for photographing, but when I uploaded this mini photoshoot to my computer almost all the pictures looked horrible. In particular, the top I was so in love with was making me look huge, like I had a bun in the oven. Blast you, white. 

Was it just a bad day for photography? Perhaps: Leilani and I had woken up at the crack of dawn to go to the Rosemont Flea Market; it was blasted hot that day, creeping towards 100; we were in a bit of a food coma from brunch at  Kenala (bacon-chocolate waffles FTW); I was annoyed I couldn't find my favorite sunglasses to wear in this post; and it was about noon when these photos were taken (worst time ever to photograph, but we tried anyway). 

Verdict? These photos aren't perfect, but that's ok. I had an awesome time crawling the flea market with Leilani, and there are worse things in life. Below is the carved mother of pearl necklace I got for $4...love! I also got a pair of earrings and another necklace, which I'll photograph for another post. I liked the idea of pairing white jewelry with the white outfit.



I love anything that's celestial themed. Suns, moons, and stars. We took these photos in a little "park" on my street that's really not much more than a vacant lot that was turned into a really pretty little garden. It's about the size of a postage stamp, but it is officially designated as a park.

Leilani looking super cute! She's a seasoned pro at thrifting, flea marketing, estate shopping and general vintage madness. We got to the Rosemont flea super early, since she said most of the good stuff goes quickly. I am the grasshopper to her Mr. Miyagi in the world of thrifting.  She brought her small camera to the flea market, but I knew it'd be too hot to want to lug around my larger one. Hopefully she post some pictures of the crazy cool stuff we saw there!

Love this ring of hers!

She already owned all these pieces, but I love them!

She poses like a pro. 


Has anyone else gone to the Rosemont Flea Market and found some treasures?? Or where do you go for the best flea markets or thrifting?

No comments:

Post a Comment