Friday, February 18, 2011

Friend Friday: Body Image

1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed? A bit, but not too much. What I like about taking photos of myself is being able to stand back and look at what I'm wearing. I can look at my outfits from a 3rd person perspective, and I've been able to figure out what silhouettes truly look best on me, what outfits are not so great looking, and what colors really work against my skin. It helps me going forward to really find the most flattering looks for my body!

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway? I try not to dwell too much on the things that bother my about my body image, but I have been trying to loose those last few pounds that are remaining from my college years. It would be nice to have a little less muffin top when I slip on my favorite jeans, and feel like I have to find something blousey to wear over that bit of pudge!




I also have a long suffering relationship with my chest. I feel as though sooooo many fashion styles lately have trended towards the boho, flowy, drapey tops and longer lengths and more volume. I love the look, but a lot those fashions look really great on people with model bodies (AKA tiny boobs) and those tops and dresses and tunics just seem to tent out from my chest and make me look pregnant! Either that, or they end up making me look larger than I really am. *frustration!* 


3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future holds in the evolution of your body image? I'm working on finding the shapes, fabrics, and silhouettes that work best for my body type and that I really like. I want to feel good about how I look! And if I like a trend, but it doesn't always suit my body type I try to modify the look or incorporate that theme in another way. For those long, tunic looks I usually end up belting them to give me a waist, and voila! Hourglass figure :)

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision? I get embarrassed if someone is watching, like a neighbor or even my family while I'm photographing myself. I feel kind of silly, trying to strike interesting and flattering poses in front of a tripod, all while trying to hide my remote in my hand so it doesn't show up in pictures. I'm pretty sure my mom would tease me if she saw me trying to pose like a model, rather than just standing there. Ideally, I'd be confident enough not to care what people in public thought, but I'm only human :)


I'm not going to lie, I do try to practice poses that create the most flattering photograph. Pictures are only a moment, not the whole package, so I like to try and look my best in that one moment. Avoid the double chin! Push your neck forward! make a 3/4 turn with your body! Hand on your hip! 


Thanks Tyra, thanks ANTM :D

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart? At the end of the day, this is supposed to be about fashion (or whatever you blog about!) and fun. Have fun with what you're doing, choose the looks that you like, and make sure you feel good in what you're wearing. Don't wear something just because its trending if you end up not feeling comfortable in it. If you feel comfortable and confident, you really do look your best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment