Sunday, January 9, 2011

How a 6 year old helped me make a New Year's resolution

I'm not a huge fan of making New Year's resolutions: I'd rather think of general goals  I have a hard time sticking to them, and, not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but does anyone ever really think about what resolutions they made in the beginning of the year when June rolls around?


But I changed my mind yesterday. I was in Pottery Barn of all places, and there was a little girl with her parents and baby brother also in the store. She looked about 6 years old, and was cute as a button. She was decked out in pink, with matching Hello Kitty shirt, pants and hat. On her feet were pink sneakers bedazzled in pink rhinestones. She bounced around, mostly ignoring her mother's requests that she not touch so many things, and it seemed as if her sweet aura was glittering like her shoes. Such a cutie!

I exchanged smile with her mom and commented how cute her two children were, and told the little girl I loved her Hello Kitty outfit. She informed me that she had a 2011 resolution, with a huge grin on her face.



"What's your New Year's resolution?" Her mom asked, prompting her to tell me.

"To be fancy!"
A photo I found online when I typed in "fancy."


And there you go. That's the most fabulous New Year's resolution I've ever heard. And from the mouths of babes! I've decided to take this resolution upon myself and apply it to my own life. We should all be more fancy! And not just in what I wear, but how I think. A new goal for myself is to always feel fancy, despite what I'm wearing (although fancy clothes are also fun and I plan on enjoying them as well!), just like the little girl I saw in Pottery Barn. :)



Have you guys ever learned something so fantastic from a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment