Friday, January 21, 2011

Friend Friday: The Authentic Blogger

Some very thought provoking questions this Friday.


1. Most readers and fellow fashion bloggers value authenticity in the blogs they read. How would you describe blog/blogger authenticity? "Authentic" can be a tricky word: I don't want to use "authentic" and "unique" in the same sentence here. Google dictionary/Princeton WordNet defines authentic as "conforming to fact and therefore worth of belief." In this light, I consider authentic blogs to be ones that are true to their bloggers: they post material that is a true and accurate representation of their lives/sense of style/interests. Unique blogs I consider to be ones that stand out from the crowd, are original and fresh, and offer a different perspective from the norm. 

2. When it comes to your blog how to you infuse it with that true/authentic feeling? I strive to make my blog very "me." I started it for myself, to be my own creative outlet, and I want to fill it solely with things that interest and excite me. I'm still kind of new at this, but I'm trying to be a little more "out there" with my fashion than I have been in the past. No more being shy and trying to blend into the crowd for me! Um, but with very tiny baby steps at a time...


3. Have you stopped following a blog in the last three months? What  made you lose interest?


 Eh... there have been a handful that I have stopped checking as religiously as others. And some blogs that I admire, but won't necessarily put on my must-watch list. I don't want to sound harsh (and I'm certainly not going to name any names), but the blogs I've lost interest in are the ones that I find less interesting, less unique (there's that word again...)--not that they are not authentic in their outfits/writing/presentations as a true representation of their own life and their tastes, but I'm more interested in original, never-before-seen ideas and details. 


I get bored sometimes of everyone looking like they stepped out of J. Crew magazine--not that there's anything wrong with this: Heavens knows that my closet is pretty flippin' full of J. Crew clothes that I love to wear and feel confident in. But the blogs/people that really capture my attention are the ones that put things together in ways I've never, ever seen before. I like the people that know how to stand out in a crowd. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to pull off some of the crazy outfits I've seen, but its fun to see someone else pulling it off!

4. We can't communicate effectively on our blogs, something we don't live in real life... what are some ways you try to live an authentic life? I've been trying to wear all of my blog-outfits in real life. I don't want to put something together that I love, and post it online, and then decide I'm too shy to wear it out of the house. 



5. Give a shout-out... Which bloggers do you think are truly genuine and why?  Pretty much every single person represented over at StyleLikeU. I love hearing about where each person finds their pieces, and the variety and range of stories is exceptional. They're doing what I love--finding all those crazy unique people, and then putting their interviews together for me to watch. How convenient! :) I also really like Pink Champagne, Where Did U Get That, Artfully Aware and Fashion for Nerds, for all of their incredible, wonderfully unique senses of style!

No comments:

Post a Comment