Saturday, January 29, 2011

Friday Questions: Blogging Tools of the Trade

1. What technology do you use in blogging? (computer, camera, video camera, tripod, etc...) My trusty camera (Nikon D5000) is my most important tool. Although I suppose my computer is also important, because without which I would have no way to blog. Also, because I'm not lucky enough to have a photographer boyfriend/husband/friend I also need my tripod and remote to take photos of myself. 



2. What computer and online technology do you use? (blogging system, photo storage, photo editing tools, etc..) I use Blogger because the majority of the blogs I followed before I started blogging were Blogger-based. I've recently downloaded Disqus which has made such a major difference in being able to comment and reply to comments. The whole point of blogging (I think) is to have the ability to create discussion and dialogue, and I was frustrated with Blogger's commenting format (or lack thereof) for a long time. 


As much as I long for the ability/cash to use/buy Photoshop, I rely almost solely on iPhoto which came with my Mac. Although for being a basic, "bare bones" kind of photo editing software it gets the job done pretty well. I can adjust exposure, color saturation, etc. and even remove the occasional pimple pretty well :)






3. What is your process for taking pictures? Determine photo location, set up my tripod and angle of the camera, set it to remote setting with a 2 second delay, then I start taking pictures. I try to do as many different poses in as few photos as possible so I don't have a bajillion pictures to sort through. I'm trying to make it as uncomplicated a process as possible without sacrificing quality since I'd like to think I can get the hang of taking all my outfit photos during daylight hours on the weekend for posting during the week ahead. 


I try to be pretty ruthless in my photo editing. If its not a great picture, and just an "eh" picture, I throw it away immediately. I only want to put up the best photos I can of myself and my outfits, so I try to whittle down my options as much as possible!



4. When it comes to backdrops for your photos what do you consider? Do you scout locations or shoot the same spot daily? Ugh, these wintertime daylight hours have been killing me. So is having a real, full-time job. When I get home at night, it's full-on black outside, and I don't have much of a choice but to photograph in my room. Out of all the locations in my house, I've found that the white, double doors of my closet seem to work best as an unfussy, uncomplicated background when I don't have a prettier location to choose from. The lighting isn't great anywhere in my house at night, so I do the best I can with what I have.


I'm lucky that my house has a really wonderful backyard with no neighbors behind me, so on the weekends and during the day I have (what looks like) a lot of land to use as a backdrop. I love nature backgrounds. My mom also has a really wonderful garden to photograph in. I haven't experimented with photographing in other, outside locations: I'm a bit embarrassed at being caught by my neighbors photographing myself!



5. If you could splurge and get one new piece of equipment what would you be buying? I already have my dream camera, so either some great indoor lighting/external flash or maybe a new camera lens for better portraiture! 

No comments:

Post a Comment