Friday, November 26, 2010

30x30 Day 7: I need some fashion advice from you guys!

Hello all! I'm hoping everyone celebrating Thanksgiving was able to roll themselves out of bed and out of their food comas today. And if you don't celebrate American Thanksgiving, and you still found yourself in a food coma--I tip my hat to you.

I'm trying to spend the next few days photographing some more of my 30 for 30 outfits. This one might be one of my favorites so far.

And as you scroll down to the bottom, I'll need your help with some accessorizing!







Plum ruffled tank top: Forever 21
Grey Cardigan: J. Crew
Black and white skirt: J. Crew
Skinny patent belt: Gap
Polka dot tights: J. Crew
Booties: J. Crew
Earrings: Cusp
Snake pendant: Francesca's


Ok, earlier this month I was inspired by Audi over at Fashion for Nerds when she put thigh-high socks on over her tights (and some awesome suede shorts). I agree with her that added the socks somehow made the whole outfit look a little less leggy but still super cute. When I shot these photos I didn't have any thigh-highs, but tried on a pair of aqua knee-high socks over my polka dot tights:







So my question is: Do I look ridiculous in these?? Do I need thigh-highs to make this work? Or do I just look like this or this? Please be honest: I need your advice!

Also, let's take a moment to look at this awesome necklace I fished out of the sale bin at Francesca's for $8. Holler. 



Also, one last note before we end: A moment of silence is in order to commemorate the fact that I officially no longer work at J. Crew having finally found full-time employment. It's a been a blast, J. Crew: a memorable year and a half that I dressed mannequins in outfits I could never pull off, encountered some truly unique customers (I'm looking at you, woman who returns things with the tags still on 3 years later), Lysol-ed the Red Phones after sick people coughed into the receivers, dug through the return-to-J.Crew-warehouse bin for cashmere, stocked up on waaaay too many cardigans and too much jewelry, and learned to buy menswear for myself and not just my brothers. So thanks, J. Crew. Although I'm pretty sure you should be thanking me because mostly my entire paycheck was funneled back into your company because of the truly stellar discount you offer your associates. So instead, my closet and this blog thanks you. But I refuse to say 'orchid shadow' when referring to darker shades of purple. Now back to the show.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm... To be honest, you do look a bit like yodeler. I like the patterned tights on their own and the knee-highs may work better on bare skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, LOVE that necklace!!! Second, looove the outfit...and third....I'm not sure about the socks, it looks a bit weird to me, haha...not bad, just weird
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job! :) and I LOVE that pendant.

    Honestly, I don't know if I like the look of the socks with your outfit. I like it the way it is, I think it looks great! Adding the socks is kind of overkill. I think for the socks-over-tights look, you need to wear something more casual or short, and the tights should be solid. I'd also choose a cotton/wool sock that has more texture and weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the skirt and the polka dot tights.. I also think the whole look looks better without the knee highs. :)

    xx Love & Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think those knee highs would be really cute with boots. Wear the black tights, knee highs (pop of color) poking out of the top of boots.

    I like your outfit on its own in the first pictures better than with the knee highs. And I like your ideas of posting it for questions, I need to do that, then hopefully I dont go out in public wearing a fashion disaster!!

    happy mixing!! xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think knee high socks over tights are great - but I prefer it when worn wth boots.
    This outfit doesn't need the socks. The first variation of the outfits looks a bit nicer to me. But I do advocate the tights and socks when worn with boots.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tights! And that necklace is bomb!

    Melanie@UnravelledThreads
    Follow @UnraveldTreads on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete