Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Shopping Vintage/Thrift Part II (or) Every (Wo)man for Themselves!

So I made it through my first major rummage sale. I posted last week about going to a huge annual church rummage sale in my area, and how I felt very uneducated on how to go about navigating the sheer volume of goodies. Unfortunately, the friend I had planned on going with had her car battery die that morning, so I was on my own for this one.

Another friend of mine suggested I/we get there really early. Like, really early. Doors opened at 7 am and she told me to get there between 5:30-6:00 am. But, she promised me, its totally worth it. So I got there around 6:15 (even for the sake of cheap clothes its hard to get up earlier than 5:00 am...) and good heavens, the sheer size of the crowds was staggering. There were police directing traffic and guarding monitoring each room to ensure not too many people were inside at one time to create a fire hazard. Church volunteers were handing out maps to help people navigate each area! And the lines were starting to curl around the block! People had brought carts to haul away goods! I even saw one girl who had two huge Army issue duffle bags (like this!) strapped over each shoulder! I was a little intimidated.

I quickly got in line and collaborated with another girl waiting in line about where we each were going first. She wanted to hit up the purses section and try and find a Coach bag. I decided to make a run (literally) for the area labelled the "French Room," where, apparently, the higher end clothes in the best condition were waiting for all the scrambling women. With the sheer number of people (women) waiting in line I was unsurprised to hear that "the good stuff" is usually gone in a matter of minutes. When the doors opened it was a free-for-all.

All in all I came away a pretty good haul considering it was my first time at this game. I found a black, Banana Republic marino wool dress with the original tags still on it for only $18! (the tags retailed it at $98!) I was really tempted to buy an Oscar de la Renta silk caftan, but it was a size 16, and I don't trust my sewing skills yet to properly take things in: and for the $25 price tag I can buy a couple of yards of colorful silk and probably find a pattern to make my own caftan :) There was also an exquisite wedding dress that looked like it was from the 30's or 40's. It had 3/4 length sleeves and buttons all the way down the back. I wish I had brought my camera to take a picture! But I needed both my hands to dig...

So here's the run down:
        -Banana Republic brand new wool dress $18
        -Red snakeskin belt $3
        -2 pretty silk scarves $2 each....one of them is a Liberty of London!!!
        -A gorgeous blue glass vase for $2.50








Dress: thrift, Banana Republic
Scarves: thrift, Liberty of London and ?
Booties, Jacket: J. Crew
Belt: thrift
Earrings: Target


!!!


Not too shabby, I'd say, for my first rummage sale :) Any thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. That sounds really intimidating! It's like black friday shopping when women go crayzay for the goodies. Looks like you managed to find some really cute stuff, I love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the outfits! Definitely not bad, I am completely intimidated by hordes of women fighting over the same stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that dress, but what makes it special is the juxtaposition with the military coat--such a great seasonal piece!
    plus i have to say you have THE prettiest smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds insanely awesome!
    I love the scarf, it's so pretty!
    The dress was a steal, you'll wear it forever~

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made out like a bandit! The whole ordeal sounds intense though! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous scarves, i love vintage sales they do get intense though have to use the elbows sometimes haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an awesome job! Wow! The dress is a perfect fit for you!

    Hope you had a lovely weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That rummage sale sounds like a place I should be. I would be in the middle with my elbows up... I kid. Mostly.
    Great haul though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my favorite thing to thrift is scarves!! They are the perfect accesory.
    I love your dress in this post too!

    ReplyDelete